Saturday, February 20, 2016

Finding Freedom, Day 8: Friends Gone By

For everything there is a season. Or so they say. With most things, it is easy for me to accept that they might endure for a short time or for the time it takes to fulfill their purposes. Friendships, however, are difficult to move on from sometimes. 

I recognize that throughout my life there have been obvious seasons for most of my relationships. When you work with someone day in and day out, for example, your relationship is stronger during that time. And it is difficult to keep in touch when you no longer see each other every day.  Lives progress and move forward or move on and the day-to-day gets in the way. In this instance, I thank God for the invention of Facebook because it has allowed me to reacquaint myself with former coworkers. And when you have had as many jobs as I have had, that's a lot of people!

The same goes for classmates. The every day contacts changes but there are still groups from high school and college with whom I will share experiences and laughs until my time on earth is over. They are life-long friends. The older I get, the more I appreciate them, even if I only physically see them a few times each year. 

Of course there are my tried and true. My BFFs. The ones who have been around for 15-20+ years who are my comforters, my protectors, my supporters.. they are my heart. And I can't imagine life without them.

But there are some who have left or who I have left that are difficult to explain. They are relationships that should have stood the test of time that are destroyed by poor decisions. They are broken situations that might have been mended by a simple apology but too much time passes and then it just feels pointless. Maybe it's too late. So it ends. Permanently. Those are the tough ones. I am haunted by a couple of them. But I just keep moving and watch them get smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.

For everything there is a season. Or so they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment