Friday, February 12, 2016

Finding Freedom, Day 16: Road Tripping

We cannot travel enough. Leaving the comfort of our homes and venturing out across the county or traipsing over the globe enlightens, educates, and opens us up to many more possibilities than we can imagine. I heard once that children from impoverished community live in a world that is only five miles in diameter. FIVE MILES. What if we could introduce them to new places and new people for just a weekend?

Last Fall, I took my volleyball players on a campus tour. They acted like I took them to another country. I was overjoyed just watching their faces. They keep asking me when we are going somewhere else so now I am thinking we need a ROAD TRIP across the country together this summer. We'll see.
Custer National Park in South Dakota

In the meantime, here are some of my favorite places to visit.

1. SOUTH DAKOTA: One of the most beautiful places on Earth. There is a spirituality about South Dakota that is nearly indescribable. It's traditional, historic, calm and peaceful. It might be a good place to go find yourself if you are feeling lost or to just re-energize if you are feeling drained.

New York City at night
peppers, pickles and bbq sauce


2. NEW YORK: I adore the city and the country-side in New York. The busy buzz of the city is exhilarating and the country-side is shockingly gorgeous. I had no idea how many wineries and hops farms there were throughout New York until my drive through from Buffalo to Cooperstown a couple of summers ago.


3. Memphis, TENNESSEE: When I was younger and more free, I visited Memphis a few times every year. Not only do I adore the barbecue but it is a town that feels like it could be home to me. The nightlife offers great variety and right in the heart of downtown, you can catch a baseball or a basketball game which is right up my alley.

strolling through Breckenridge
New Orleans

4. Breckenridge, COLORADO: I love snow. I don't like to drive in it but I enjoy a long walk through snow and it certainly won't keep me inside. Breckenridge is the perfect town, even if you don't ski. I love to stay in the heart of town where everything is accessible on foot. Fifty-four inches of snow in three days sounds as perfect to me as a night in an open air hot tub while the snow is falling.


5. Finally, New Orleans, LOUISIANA: Art, food, jazz, history... any combination serves as a dazzling experience that won't be soon forgotten.

Who is ready for a road trip!?

No comments:

Post a Comment