Sunday, January 31, 2016

Finding Freedom, Day 27: What They Don't Tell You

They say you should follow your dreams.
They say you should face your fears.
They say you should never look back.
They say you should have no regrets.
They say you should never take the easy way out. That's like jumping from the frying pan into the fire.
They say that when God closes a door, he opens a window. I always think, "I hope it's not too high up or too small. I hope I can fit through it. Wouldn't it just be easier if he'd open another door?"
They say you should never eat where you sleep or sleep where you work or sleep with people you work with... no matter how hot your boss is or how charming that guy in the mailroom might be. It just ends up awkward for all of us.
They say one man's trash is another man's treasure but sometimes I think THEY were talking about exes and not necessarily stuff.
They say you shouldn't concern yourself with keeping up with the Joneses.
They say dead men don't tell tales.
They say dead guys don't wear plaid either. Although I am not sure what it has to do with anything.
They say even a broken clock is right twice a day.
They say that the only things guaranteed in life are death and taxes.
They say a penny saved is a penny earned.
They say if you have cold hands, you have a warm heart too. I have met a few people who prove the opposite is also true.

What they don't say is that some day, you will be required to care for the people who spent their lives caring for you. It's your responsibility. Even though you feel like saying no sometimes, you just can't. They don't tell you that it is possible to hit rock bottom more than once. They certainly don't give any clue about how many times your heart can be broken and put back together. I hope it's nothing like that darn broken clock. They don't tell you that a lot of times adulthood still feels like you are sixteen. They don't mention that relationships in kindergarten are a HUGE clue about relationships for the rest of your life as well as the people you will meet. They don't tell you that everybody doesn't love at the same level you do and that some people are so selfish you will want to slap them but you can't because... you don't have a violent bone in your body. They don't tell you that the people you think will be there for the rest of your life might leave and never look back and they definitely don't tell you that sometimes the loss you suffer will leave a gaping hole in your heart that you will just have to work around for... well... forever.

I think if THEY are going to continue to be the experts, they should give us all a heads up about the crappy stuff too.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry.. I feel like you spoke the exact way I feel most of the time, especially the last line. Another hug on Monday? I know I don't comment, but I look forward to reading these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And yes, a hug would be great!

    ReplyDelete