Sunday, January 17, 2016

Finding Freedom Day 43: What are Five Ways to Win Your Heart?

Winning my heart is simpler than it might seem. I love love. And while I have not been as good at letting others love me as I have at loving them, it just took me a little longer than most to be open to more than just the idea.

That said, if I had to pick just five ways to win my heart, they would be...

1. Let me know you are thinking of me.

Honestly, constant communication makes me crazy. I don't need or expect anyone to check in with me but it would be nice if I knew you were thinking of me once in a while. A text revealing that even though you just came off the golf course with your boys, I crossed your mind or that you've been thinking of me while you are at work is cute. I really like that kind of thing. It is not contrived. It is not manipulated. Just out of the blue, you tell me that you think of me when I am not around.

2. Let me know that you hear me.

I am not the only woman in the world who appreciates a man who remembers the little things that come up in conversation. Women are a lot easier to figure out when a man just listens. In between the lines live the juicy details, the clues to understanding her and probably one of the keys to her heart.

3. Love other people.

Watching you love others, care for others, and do your part to make the world a better place will cause my heart to dance. I won't be able to stop thinking about you. It's true. On the flip side, selfishness is the quickest route out of my life. I can't do the selfishness thing...

4. Make time for me.

People always say that a man who is interested in you will make time for you. Well, duh. However, just like I am not the kind of person who has to be in constant communication with someone, I also don't need to be with someone every hour of the day or every day of the week. I love it when a guy has his own interests, great friends with whom he loves to spend time and a life he enjoys. But... I need a little time now and then. Make time for me.

5. Just show up.

Women frequently and unrealistically expect men to be mind readers. While I know that it is crazy to think that the man who wins my heart will just "know" when I need him to be there, I kind of just need a man who will show up. Show up at my house with a bottle of wine after a really crappy day. Show up at the gym and cheer for my volleyball players as vigorously as I do. Show up at the birthday party that I really don't want to go to without you. Show up when you are tired. Show up when I'm crabby. Just show up. You don't have to say a word. Just be there.

Putting this out there scares me to death. But I am grateful for the person who asked. Now you know... Let the heart winning begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment